The stars of this recipe include two of TCPA’s products: Coconut Oil and Coconut Oil spray! I love cooking with coconut oil – it is a healthy alternative to canola and vegetable oil. The spray is great for greasing your muffin tins – muffins will slide out easily and have a slight coconut hint to them. Check out these great products in store!
This recipe is vegan, low fat and low sugar. There are also a number of potential variations with this recipe which I’ve listed at the bottom. Try them all!
Banana Bread Muffins
Makes 12 small muffins
3 bananas, mashed (*try mashing the bananas in their skin. Less messy!)
1/4-1/2 cup of maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1.5 cups of spelt flour/gluten free flour/organic plain flour (I’ve tried them all!)
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
0.5 tsp ginger/nutmeg (spice of choice)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts… chocolate chips!)
1.Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 12-cup muffin tray.
2. Mash bananas in a medium size bowl with melted coconut oil, vanilla essence and maple syrup. Set aside.
(Mashing bananas in skin.
3. In a large bowl, stir dry ingredients together, adding nuts last.
4. Add dry to wet, taking care not to over stir! An old food tech teacher told me never to stir muffins more than 10 times. I still count in my head when I’m folding muffins together! I find a wooden spoon to be the best utensil for this job.
5. Spoon batter into each of the muffin cups. Top with peanut butter if desired, or coconut butter!
6. Bake for 10-13 minutes, depending on your oven. Muffins are done when the middle springs back to your touch. Don’t let them overbake, they will become dry.
7. Let cool for 5 minutes in the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack, or chopping board.
8. Serve with a cup of coffee and a magazine
- This recipe works well as a banana bread too, just increase your baking time to 35-42 minutes.
- Instead of flour, try almond meal. It makes for a delicious and moist muffin!
- Add in chopped apples instead of nuts for a variation