Tips and facts from NutritionMum:
- Two thirds of the human body is water
- Water is one of the four basic nutrients our body requires (carbohydrates, protein and fats, being the other three}
- We lose 11/2 litres per day of water through perspiration, kidney function, lungs and our gastrointestinal tract.
- Necessary for detoxification, moving wastes in and out of cells
- Regulates body temperature
- Assists in lubricating our joints
- Assists in our lungs inflating and deflating
- Assists in carrying oxygen to our cells
- Necessary for water soluble vitamins
- Hydrating- especially beneficial for our skin
- No calories/kilojoules
- Assists in fluid retention by flushing sodium out of our body
- Necessary for the digestive and absorptive processes
- Hunger pains can be a sign of thirst not necessarily hunger
Ensure you drink 2 litres of filtered water daily!